Friday, December 28, 2007

Falling Apart by Katie Davis - Part 1 of 4 by Katie Davis, Author, Awake Joy - Katie Davis Blog: Awake by Katie

Part One of Four in a Dialogue Series with Katie Davis, Author, Awake Joy:

Questioner:


I have been on the spiritual path for many years and yet there are circumstances in my life that still cause me to suffer. I feel like I just can't stand it any longer. Just when I think that everything is finally good and going well, another thing happens and I go right back into the suffering. Right now, my life is simply falling apart all around me. I can't believe that this is happening to me right now. My relationship is failing and sometimes I feel that if I were to let myself cry, I would never stop. You speak of joy, but I tell you, Katie, I don't see it. Just when is it going to happen to me? What more can I do?

Katie Davis:

You can realize that you, as you think that you are, can do nothing. I am asking you to stop trying, to stop effort and to be still. Stop trying to hold it all together. Stop trying to hold 'yourself' together. You said that you have tried everything. Have you ever tried nothing at all? I am calling you to a deeper surrender.

We have been living under the false assumption that we are separate individuals as our true identity. We accepted this assumption when we were children and attempted to build a stable life. How is it possible to create a happy life, when it is based on the pain and suffering of separation, based on a lie. Through Grace, and with a certain spiritual maturity, there is enough disillusionment with life circumstances and a weariness arises or perhaps a given life situation slaps us to our knees in tremendous grief and loss. I am asking you to use this loss as an opportunity to go deeper. I am asking you to investigate the reality of this individual that you are calling "you."

Most people in this world are focused on the objects of the world, on object consciousness. They define themselves according to life circumstances and the conditioning that surrounds those life situations, based on past experience. There is a magical belief that somehow some thing or someone outside will be able to finally bring us happiness. As long as one searches outside of oneself, happiness will continue to elude them. It is an impossibility. You are searching for happiness where it can not be found.



Awake by Katie Davis Blog Friends - The dialogue will continue tomorrow


Katie Davis Website www.katiedavis.org


Katie Davis Blog - Awake by Katie www.awakebykatie.blogspot.com

Awake Joy Book Website www.AwakeJoy.org

No comments: